Monday, October 11, 2010

Mister Monday

Here's another piece in my effort to round out my Middle Grade portfolio component. This image is based on the Garth Nix book Mister Monday.


I proceeded on this one a bit more cautiously than the Canopy piece. That one practically fell together, as though I wasn't trying. This time around the image was a little more complicated. Two characters instead of one, distorted perspective, fantastical architecture, and blue jeans! A formidable foe indeed. I'm happy with the result, though. Turns out blue jeans aren't so tough.

As I mentioned earlier this is from the book Mister Monday, a middle-grade fantasy-adventure published by Scholastic. I think it's easy to write off books aimed at younger audiences as being less sophisticated, and I guess to some degree that's true. Could you imagine "Cormac McCarthy for Kids!"? Better bring a dictionary, lil' squirt. However, it might be easy to forget that these stories aimed at kids are often crafted by sharp, intelligent adults. Being a fan of several Garth Nix books, I was unsure how I would feel about this story that was so intentionally marketed toward a slightly younger audience (Middle Grade instead of Young Adult... I could be splitting hairs here). Anyway, of course the author's imagination, humor, and drum-tight action sequences were just as present here as in any of his other books. Once I have some free time I'll be checking out the rest of the series (there's a book for each day of the week)!

Oh, I'm writing this on a Friday afternoon, but I just had to set this to automatically post on Monday. Cute, right?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Frickin gorgeous, buddy. That casle rocks.

Lou Anders said...

Love this piece!

McLean Kendree said...

Thanks guys! I do love me some castles.